In recognition of both National Women’s Health Week and Hepatitis Awareness Month, the HHS Offices on Women’s Health, Minority Health, and HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy are co-sponsoring a webinar, Hepatitis C and African American Women, on Thursday, May 7, 2015 – 1:30-2:45 PM (ET).
Because of disproportionate rates of hepatitis C virus infection,
African Americans are among the populations prioritized by the Action Plan for the Prevention, Care and Treatment of Viral Hepatitis (Action Plan),
which outlines steps to educate communities about the benefits of viral
hepatitis prevention, care, and treatment as well as actions to enhance
healthcare provider knowledge about the populations most heavily
impacted. The national Action Plan underscores the importance of the
participation and engagement of partners from many sectors beyond the
federal government in order to achieve the plan’s life-saving goals,
especially those related to addressing health disparities like improving
outcomes for African Americans living with hepatitis C.
Webinar presenters will discuss how women may be affected by
hepatitis C, challenges and strategies to improve testing and access to
care, and what steps individuals and health care providers can take to
address hepatitis C among women in the African American community.
Register for the webinar today !
Presenters will include:
The webinar will also highlight:
- Hope King [ PDF 92.2 KB], PhD, MSPH, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta
- Camilla Graham [ PDF 92.2 KB], MD, MPH, Viral Hepatitis Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
- Gloria Searson [ PDF 92.2 KB], ACSW, Coalition on Positive Health Empowerment, New York City
We hope you can join us and be a part of this important conversation and then help share this information with others.
- Key hepatitis C data including the health disparities among African Americans,
- Recent hepatitis C treatment advances,
- Why African American women should know about hepatitis C, and
- Resources available to help increase awareness and learn more about hepatitis C.
- See more at: https://blog.aids.gov/2015/05/register-today-for-webinar-on-hepatitis-c-and-african-american-women.html#sthash.kNhhtwoY.dpuf
Labels: African American Women, hepatitis C, webinar